Bread Making Classes: Sourdough Saturday
Our Sourdough Saturdays are dedicated to relaxing, slowing down and enjoying the protracted process of making naturally fermented, “sourdough” breads. Here are a few reasons why that’s a good idea:
- Sourdough breads taste awesome and make amazing toast.
- Because we love to chew on a good crust.
- No additives, no enhancers, just flour, water, salt and ‘starter’.
- Easy on the digestion, even for the wheat intolerant.
- Easier to extract nutrients from, so more nutritious.
- Challenging to make well every time – and that’s a good thing from where I’m standing.
- Blissfully rewarding when your perfect loaf comes out of the oven.
- Did I mention how good this stuff tastes?
During this class we’ll make a variety of breads including White Boules, Seeded Rye,Walnut Bread and sourdough foccaccia. We’ll also make sweet sourdough apple pancakes. As we make and bake we’ll discuss:
- How to make a healthy sourdough starter from scratch.
- The benefits of sourdough bread.
- How to feed and maintain your starter indefinitely.
- The biochemistry of sourdough and how it differs from yeasted loaves.
- Manipulating time, temperature and hydration for flavour and convenience.
- Shaping techniques and practice.
- Using bannetons, proving baskets and couche cloths.
- Lots of other great stuff not necessarily related to bread at all.
This class will run from 10:00 until around 5pm. You’ll leave clutching armfuls of bread, a headful of new knowledge, a bellyful of inspiration and a fistful of recipes.