Classes: Cook with us in France
A TASTE OF FRANCE
Manna from Devon and our friends at Rural Gites have got together to bring you a memorable week of foodie experiences in the delightful northern Dordogne. The week is based on our successful foodie trips to the Alpujarras in southern Spain and will include cooking, feasting, visits to vineyards, markets and artisan producers as well as a chance to relax in the beautiful French countryside.
Here’s a guide to what we’ve got in mind –
- Saturday: Arrive at Bordeaux airport by 17.00 for transport to Chadenne for welcome drinks, a swim if you like, and dinner – a time to get to know your fellow guests.
- Sunday: Visit to St Seurin market and picnic on the banks of the River L’Isle. We’ll spend the afternoon on the river on a gabarre – a traditional boat used to transport foodstuffs for hundreds of years. Back for swimming, dinner and a chance to test your sense of smell in Le Grand Nez, our fun quiz to see who can tell their grass cuttings from their gooseberries, their tobacco from their tannins.
- Monday: We’ll visit Pomerol, one of Bordeaux’s major wine producing areas and head to Chateau Bonalgue, built by one of Napoleon’s general’s when he came back from the wars, for a vineyard tour and tasting. Then to Chateau Carbonneau in the eastern Gironde where we’ll have lunch then a tour of the vineyard and a tasting. Retail opportunities for those who’d like to! Home for dinner and a movie.
- Tuesday: Walking tour of the stunning medieval town of Issigeac. Time for coffee and shopping, followed by a river bank picnic. In the afternoon we’ll take a walk in the woods with Stephanie and her Pyrenean mountain goats. Supper at Chadenne followed by star gazing with hot chocolate and blankets!
- Wednesday: A leisurely morning and lunch from the wood fired oven. An afternoon visit to Caviar de Neuvic and to Moulin Veyssiere to taste their caviar and nut oils.
- Thursday: Off to Saussignac to visit Chateau Feely’s organic vineyard with lunch overlooking the Bergerac valley. After lunch, a visit to Bergerac and a chance to explore this lovely town or just watch the world go by from a table in a café. Chadenne for dinner and a fun foodie quiz night.
- Friday: Bread making class with Manna from Devon followed by lunch prepared on the Morso wood fired oven. In the afternoon we will visit Aubeterre sur Dronne and its spectacular underground church then through the beautiful village with tea and cakes for those who fancy them. A final celebratory dinner with our friends at La Clairiere.
- Saturday: A leisurely final morning with brunch under the trees, maybe a walk and a swim and then back to Bordeaux for flights home.
We’re all very excited by this fabulous week and reluctant as we are to wish our life away, can’t wait!! We hope you are as excited as we are and if you are, here’s all the crucial need to know stuff –
Cost £1145 per person excluding flights
Numbers No more than 14 (so be quick if you’d like to book!)
Dates We have 2 weeks booked in 2018. The 2nd-9th June and the 15th-22nd September
- Are flights included in the cost of the holiday? No flights aren’t covered nor any travel costs, including travel insurance, airport parking, travel from your home to the airport and back again.
- What time do we need to be at the airport for arrival and departure? We will pick you up from Bordeaux airport at 5pm on the first day of the holiday and drop you off at 1pm on the last day
- How long is the transfer to Chadenne? It is 1 hour from Bordeaux airport to Chadenne
- Do I need to fly? No you can take the cross Channel ferry and drive to us; we are 6-7 hours from the Channel ports. You can also come by TGV to Montpon-Menesterol.
- Will you supply towels or do we need to bring them? We have lovely fluffy towels for you to use in your accommodation and separate towels to use by the pool so no you don’t have to bring them.
- Do I have to share a bathroom? Each bedroom will have its own bathroom, either ensuite or private, so you won’t have to share with anyone else.
- Are drinks included? Welcome drinks and the vineyard tastings are included in the price of the holiday but you will then need to cover your bar bill and any other drinks ie at cafés, bars on trips out.
- Can you accommodate different dietary requirements? Yes we can although do be aware all meals will be cooked in the same kitchen.
- What will the weather be like? The weather in June and September is usually warm (20-30C, sometimes hotter) with clear days and nights so good for star gazing! We occasionally have thunderstorms but they clear quickly.
- Do I have to go walking? No you don’t; you don’t have to do anything. If you’d rather lie in or spend the day by the pool, that’s fine; just let us know.
- What type of clothing/footwear will I need? Summer clothes you can layer up in case of a chill are fine. Bring your swimming and walking clothes if you’d like to join in with those activities. Walking shoes or trainers are good for our walks through the forest and we will be in the garden a lot so probably nothing with a high heel. We want you to be comfortable so whatever you’re comfortable in.
- Is there a single supplement? There is a single supplement of £300 but come with a friend as all rooms can be made into twins!
ABOUT US –
Well there are 4 of us –
David and Holly run Manna from Devon Cooking School in beautiful South Devon and are renowned cookery experts. Much as they love where they live, one of their passions is to travel, to explore different countries and cultures by food and to share their experiences with their guests.
Annette and Peter own the stunning Rural Gites complex in Chadenne in the undiscovered northern Dordogne. They have transformed the old French farmhouse they bought on a whim nearly 15 years ago into a bright, welcoming and comfortable home. They are really living the dream and have embraced life in their new surroundings – their hospitality is legendary and they can’t wait to welcome you to their new home!
We are old friends and are very pleased to finally be working together. As these things do, it all came about over a glass of wine and someone saying “I’ve got a great plan!”
We are sure it is, a great plan that is, and think you’ll love what we’ve found here; great food and wine, beautiful surroundings and a warm welcome -a true Taste of France.
WHAT TO DO NOW –
To book your places or if you have any other queries, phone us on 01803 752943 or you can book online