Woodfired Oven Cooking: Wood-Fired Oven 1 – Mastering Your Oven
“…without wishing to gush, if you are getting a wood burning oven you really should do the Manna From Devon course. In fact, I’d say it’s essential” Xanthe Clay – Daily Telegraph Food and Cookery writer.
Using our purpose built wood-fired kitchen featuring two Bushman Ovens we run this hands on class regularly throughout the year in our purpoe built wood fired kitchen. The class is for anyone already who has or is about to buy or build a wood-fired oven.
We’ll use the traditional style oven (pictured left) and a second smaller oven to demonstrate the full versatility of wood-fired ovens and to give you as complete a picture as possible of how to get the best from your own oven and enjoy it fully.
Wood fired ovens are perfect for pizza but can also do so much more. We’ll show you how to use them in many ways :
- Pizza: making dough, shaping, topping and baking
- Fish: fish stew, roast fish and griddled seafood
- Roast dinner: chicken with roast potatoes and vegetables
- Steak: grilled rump steak .
- Vegetarian: stuffed peppers, aubergine parmigiana, blackened tomatoes, dips.
- Flat breads: Pittas
- Pastry: Spiced apple empanadas.
I know from experience that using your oven to maximum effect takes a little getting used to and we’ll discuss many aspects of use:
- How the oven works
- Siting your oven
- Wood selection.
- Lighting and heating the fire
- Measuring and controlling temperatures
- Cooking utensils and other equipment
This class is always sociable, great fun and a very hands-on learning experience. We cook a lot of different dishes during the day and naturally we have to try them all.
Each course is limited to 10 places . £175.00 per person. Lunch (lots of it) included. Starts 10:00, ends around 4:30.
Make a weekend of it by combining this class with our ‘Wood – Fired 2 Baking and Slow Cooking Class. The two classes together cost just £325. Call us directly on 01803 752943 to take advantage of this offer.