Woodfired Party Food
Woodfired Party Food is a real winner – great at any time of year but especially so at Christmas with the flames burning in the background for a festive glow.
Here’s what we made – the fish recipes are from our Woodfired Fish & Seafood
Woodfired Party Food – Thai Fish Cakes – Ingredients
675g skinned and boned fish fillet – we used salmon and hake
6 spring onions, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
2tbsp fresh chopped coriander
1 stick lemongrass, trimmed and very finely chopped
Finely grated zest 1 lime
1tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
2tbsp rice flour
3tbsp sunflower oil
Woodfired Party Food – Equipment/door etc (for all the recipes)
2 frying pans and 1 Tuscan Grill
Woodfired Party Food – Thai Fish Cakes – Method
- Chop the fish very finely or mince it in a food processor and turn the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except the oil and mix well together. I find it’s easier to do this by hand.
- Divide the mixture into little pieces the size of a walnut. Shape them into fish cakes by pressing them between your thumb and index finger to make discs 1cm/½“ thick and 2.5cm/1” wide.
- Bring the embers on to the oven floor and place a wide frying pan on top of them. Heat it up and when the pan is hot, add the oil.
- Put the fish cakes in the pan and cook until the fish has become firm and cooked through, golden brown on each side but still juicy in the middle – about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve at once with chilli dipping sauce and lime juice squeezed over the top.
Woodfired Party Food – Prawn and Red Pepper Skewers – Ingredients & Method
36 raw shell-off tiger prawns, defrosted and well drained if frozen
2tbsp harissa paste
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1tbsp sunflower oil
1red (bell) pepper
Salt and pepper
12 small wooden skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in a dish of cold water for a couple of hours.
- Mix the harissa paste with the sunflower oil and the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tiger prawns and mix well. Leave in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the red pepper in half from the top down and take out the seeds. Cut each half of the pepper into 6 long strips and cut each strip into 3 so you end up with 36 bits of pepper.
- Take the skewers out of the water and shake dry. Thread the prawns and pieces of pepper onto the skewers so you get 3 of each on each skewer, alternating them as you do so.
- Heat a grill pan in the oven for 10 minutes. Add the skewers and grill for 50-60 seconds each side until the prawns have turned pink and there is some charring on them.
- Take the skewers out of the oven and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Serve at once.
Woodfired Party Food – Sausages with Mustard, Honey and Sesame (cos you can’t have a party without a sausage on a stick!)
Not so much a recipe really – get 500g chipolata sausages and squeeze each gently into 2 twisting them in the middle before cutting them in 2. Cook the sausages in a hot frying pan with a little oil until cooked through. Squeeze 1tbsp runny honey into a bowl with 1tsp of your favourite mustard and add the cooked sausages. Stir gently together and sprinkle over 1tbsp sesame seeds. Serve hot.