Wood Fired Oven Cooking: Wood-Fired 1- Foundations
“…without wishing to gush, if you are getting a wood burning oven you really should do the Manna From Devon course. In fact, I’d say it’s essential”
Xanthe Clay – Daily Telegraph Food and Cookery writer.
Using our purpose built wood-fired kitchen featuring two Bushman Ovens we run this hands-on class regularly throughout the year. The class is for anyone who already has or is about to buy or build a wood-fired oven or for anyone who has had an oven for some time but feels they aren’t using it to its best.
We’ll use the traditional style oven (pictured left) and a second smaller oven to demonstrate the full versatility of wood-fired ovens and to give you as complete a picture as possible of how to get the best from your own oven and enjoy it fully. Lots of photos in the gallery to the right of this page so do click on the photo of the oven to have a look.
Wood fired ovens are perfect for pizza but can also do so much more. We’ll show you how to use them in many ways :
- Pizza – making dough, shaping, and baking
- Fish – scallops, roast fish
- Roast dinner – chicken, roast potatoes
- Steak – grilled rump steak with herb butter & blackened tomatoes
- Vegetarian – stuffed peppers, baba ghanoush.
- Flat breads – Pittas
- Pastry – Apple Tarte Tatin
We know from experience that using your oven to maximum effect takes a little getting used to and we’ll pass on lots of useful information such as:
- How the oven works
- Siting your oven and looking after it
- What wood to use
- Lighting and heating the fire
- Measuring and controlling temperatures
- Cooking utensils and other equipment
This course is for you if you are –
- Thinking of buying a wood fired oven and are researching the best type for you.
- Have just bought an oven or are expecting one any day and want to get off to a good start.
- Already have an oven and aren’t sure you’re using it correctly – maybe you can’t get it heated up properly or get the fire going or make anything more than pizza.
- Have an oven already and want to get much more out of it.
- Have bought a house with an oven and need to get started with it.
- Are building your own oven and want to know how to use it once you’ve completed the build.
The class is always sociable, great fun and a combination of demonstration and hands-on learning. We cook a lot of different dishes during the day and naturally we have to try them all so you’ll be well fed!
Each course is limited to 8 places. £195.00 per person. Lunch (lots of it) included. Starts 10:00am, ends around 4pm.
Make a weekend of it by combining this class with our ‘Wood – Fired 2 Making the Most of Your Oven Class. The two classes together cost just £345. Call us directly on 01803 752943 to take advantage of this offer.
If you’re in the Midlands or the east of the country, or you can’t make these dates, remember there’s the option of our wood fired course in Suffolk as well.