Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven
This is a delicious lunch or supper dish, easily cooked in the wood fired oven. It can be served on its own with a green salad or as a side with some grilled or roast meat, particularly lamb.
Check out this week’s #woodfiredweekly to see David cooking this dish in the Bushman Santorini Oven.
Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven – Ingredients
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 packet or tin of pre-cooked lentils
- 50g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 lemon – take the peel off in long strips for garnish before cutting in half
- 30g pinenuts, toasted
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven – Oven state, equipment etc
Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven – Method
1. Scoop out 1/3 of the flesh from each half of the butternut then pierce the two halves with a knife. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add a good glug of olive oil. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes. Take off the foil and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the squash is beginning to brown and the flesh can be easily pierced with a knife.
2. For the filling gently fry the pepper, onion and garlic in a little olive oil at the front of the oven for a few minutes. Stir regularly. Then add the scooped out squash, season, and return to the oven until everything is soft. Add the spinach and the juice of the lemon and wilt for a couple of minutes. Finally tip in the pre-cooked lentils and give everything a good stir.
3. Pile the filling into the squash halves and put back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes to heat through.
4. Sprinkle the cubes of feta cheese with the pine nuts and the lemon peel strips on top and serve.
Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven – Alternatives
- You can use most types of squash for this recipe or why not try it with aubergines or peppers instead.
- Substitute cooked rice for the lentils.
- Fry up some minced lamb and spices with the vegetables for a delicious meaty filling.
- Leave the feta off the squash for a vegan option.
Stuffed Butternut Squash in the Wood Fired Oven – Wine suggestion
A Chianti with its earthy flavours and good acidity would pair well with this dish. Thanks to our friends at Michael Sutton’s Cellar for this recommendation.
Happy cooking and see you next week,
Holly & David