How to make our marinated sweet and sour red onions
We love these super sweet and sour onions on salads, on flatbreads, on smoked mackerel paté, on ceviche, on avocadoes, on hummus, in an Indian cachumber salad with tomatoes, cucumber and cumin – yes, on pretty much everything!!
To be honest, raw onion is not at the top of our wish list – too raw, too overpowering, too fiery. But served like this they are a fantastic garnish on many dishes – naturally sweet, easy to make and still with a bit of texture.
Here’s what we do –
1. Get yourself 3 red small onions, 1 lemon and 2tsp fine seasalt.
2. Peel & thinly slice the onions.
3. Put the sliced onions in a bowl with the salt.
4. Cut the lemon in half.
5. Squeeze the lemon juice over the onions and salt.
6. Mix everything together.
7. Leave everything for a couple of hours until the onions have softened and become sweet with a sour hit from the lemon juice. Drain and serve or keep them in the fridge until needed. Use them up within 3 days.
8. Served on sourdough toast with Parma ham, little gem in vinaigrette, sliced ripe avocadoes and toasted pumpkin seeds.
9. Served on (more) sourdough toast, homemade smoked mackerel paté (see how we made that here) and with lemon zest and sliced cornichons.
Do give these onions a go – we are sure you’ll love them – and do let us know how you use yours!
David and Holly