How to make Soft Bread Rolls in your Woodfired Oven
Fabulous soft pillowy rolls straight from your woodfired oven to your table – they are so good they’ll be gone in seconds!
Sounds great doesn’t it – let David show you just how to make them them with lots of help and tips on
- working with a soft dough
- rolling and shaping your dough into buns
- what temperature to have your oven
- what to do if you haven’t got a refractory oven but a metal woodfired oven
- and how to get those fiddly sesame and poppy seeds to stick on the top!
All the essentials for a great bake!
The video is on our youtube channel here so do take a look and leave us a thumbs up and a comment – we really love hearing from you.
Ingredients – for 8 rolls at 100g each
450g strong white flour and 50g wholemeal flour (we use Shipton Mill flour)
10g fine seasalt
6g dried quick acting yeast; this is a bit more than normal to compensate for the butter in the mixture (double the amount if you are using fresh yeast)
150g milk mixed with 150g water
50g sesame seeds in a bowl
50g poppy seeds in a bowl
Oven State, door etc
Door shut on a refractory oven
Door slightly open on a metal oven with a good bed of embers – keep feeding them with small pieces of wood as necessary to keep the temperature up.
- Mix the flours with the salt and dried yeast then rub the butter in roughly.
- Stir in the milk and water and bring together with a dough scraper.
- Turn on to a clean work surface and knead as David does in the video making sure not to add any extra flour even though the dough will be sticky at first.
- Put the dough back in a bowl and cover. Leave it to rise until doubled in size – about 1-2 hours depending on the temperature. We just leave ours in the kitchen and that works fine.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls as David does in the video.
- Dunk the dough balls into a bowl of water and then half of them into the sesame seeds and the rest into the poppy seeds.
- Place them in the baking tin, cover and let them rise for another 45 minutes or so until wel risen and puffy.
- Bake in the oven as above for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm with butter – delicious!