Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven will make you look like a tip-top pastry chef even if you don’t know one end of a rolling pin from another. Additionally you can use this recipe all year round depending on what fruit is in season or what’s needs using up in your fruit bowl.
Do give it a try and let us know how you get on – you can see David make it on our Youtube Channel here.
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven – Ingredients
1 block shortcrust pastry (ready made is fine); defrosted if frozen
500g mixed fruits, stoned as needed – we used flat peaches and plums
2tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
1tbsp Demerara sugar
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven – Oven state, equipment etc
Well heated oven and floor – 3 Mississippi
Heat deflector to prevent side scorch
Flat metal dish for bottom heat to prevent uncooked pastry
Piece of Teflon cut into a circle – optional but it makes life easier!
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven – Method
1.Keep the embers and fire to one side of the oven with the heat deflector once the oven floor is thoroughly heated. Put the flat metal dish in the oven to heat through.
2. Roll out the pastry to a circle about 40cm in diameter. Put the pastry on to the Teflon if you’re using it
3. Stone the fruit if necessary and chop it into even sized chunks.
4. Toss the fruit with the cornflour and the caster sugar. Pile all the fruit into the centre of the pastry circle.
5. Bring the edges of the pastry over the fruit, leaving a hole so you can see the fruit – it’s not a covered pie. Pleat the pastry round as you go to make a neat finish – or just pile it up if you prefer it slightly more, err, rustic.
6. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the Demerara sugar.
7. Use a peel to slide the galette and the Teflon circle on to the baking pan.
8. Put the door on the oven but leave it ajar. Bake the galette for 30 minutes until the pastry is cooked through, the fruit is tender and the juices have thickened into a sauce. Turn the galette round from time to time to ensure even browning on the sides of the pastry.
9. Sprinkle with some icing sugar and serve hot with some vanilla icecream or clotted cream.
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven – Alternatives
Work with the seasons so at the minute how about –
- Blackberry and apple
- Pear and apple
- Plum and blackberry
In the summer it’s more like –
- Strawberries and peaches
- Raspberries and nectarines
- Summer fruit mix – berries, black/red/white currants
Fruit Galette from the Woodfired Oven – Wine Suggestion
Once again Suzie from Michael Sutton’s Cellar has come up trumps with her wine suggestion saying”We would recommend a sweet wine from the Loire like Domaine de Mongilet’s Coteaux de L’Aubance. It is wonderfully flavoured and one which will brighten up fruit tarts or galettes!”