Woodfired Carrot Cake
Woodfired carrot cake has to be one of the best cakes you can make – easy to get together, full of flavour and super-moist. We love it and make it time and again in the falling heat of the oven. The video is on our youtube channel here and here’s the recipe for you to make your own cake at home.
Woodfired carrot cake- ingredients
300g carrots, peeled and grated
275g self-raising flour
250g Caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
300ml sunflower oil
1 large ripe banana, peeled and mashed
1tbsp ground ginger
1tbsp ground mixed spice
30g pumpkin seeds
Woodfired carrot cake – oven state etc
Cake tin or roasting tin, lined with baking parchment
Woodfired carrot cake – method
- Mix everything together and pour the batter into the lined cake tin.
- Put the cake tin in the oven and shut the door.
- Come back after 30 minutes and check to see how the cake is doing – it wants to be firm and brown on top and well risen. An inserted skewer should come out clean.
- If it needs more time, put the cake back in the oven and cover it with some foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes. Take it out of the tin after this time, peel off the baking parchment and leave it to cool on a wire rack.
Woodfired carrot cake – alternatives
Try different vegetables such as beetroot, parsnip or butternut squash.
Use different dried fruits such as cranberries, chopped apricots or sultanas
Try different spices such as cinnamon
If you can wait for the cake to completely cool down, top it with a cream cheese frosting – basically cream cheese mixed with sifted icing sugar to taste and a bit of lemon zest fore some zing.