Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps
Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps are a great barbeque dish for National Barbeque Week but focussing on some seasonal courgettes, zingy mint from the herb garden and chargrilled halloumi cheese.We’re cooking them in and on the Morso Forno but you can cook them on any woodfired oven or barbeque. Check out what we did on our youtube channel here
Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps – Ingredients
1 block halloumi cut into 5cm x1cm pieces
1 large courgette, cut into 5cm x 5mm slices
Large handful of fresh mint, chopped
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and pepper
Wraps – either bought or handmade using our pizza dough recipe
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 green chilli, finely chopped
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Roughly chopped little gem or other crunchy salad
Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps – Oven state and equipment
Tuscan grill for barbequing the courgettes and halloumi
Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps – Method
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and add the red onion and gren chilli. Cook on top of the Morso Forno if you are using one or just inside the door of your regular woodfired oven to soften the onions. Add the chopped tomatoes and let them soften down too.
- Bring the embers to the centre of the oven and put the Tuscan grill over them to heat up.
- Toss the courgettes in the mint with 3tbsp olive oil and the garlic and barbeque them on the Tuscan grill.
- Keep the courgettes warm while you griddle the halloumi pieces – toss these in a little olive oil first as well. Don’t move the cheese until it is well charred on each side which will add flavour and make them look great.
- Roll out the flatbread dough and cook in the oven (or on the Morso as we did) or just warm through some shop bought ones.
- Keep an eye on the tomato salsa which should be cooked by now – squeeze in the lime juice and add the chopped coriander.
- Make the wraps by putting some of the cooked courgettes and halloumi along the centre. Then add a couple of spoons of the tomato salsa and some shredded lettuce. Squeeze oveer a touch of chilli sauce too if you want.
- Make all the wraps like this and eat whilst still warm.
Woodfired Halloumi & Courgette Wraps – Alternatives
Instead of the courgettes, griddle some red pepper strips which always barbeque well.
Use chives or oregano instead of the mint or coriander.
If you don’t want a vegetarian wrap, do use strips of chicken thigh or leg of lamb in its place.
Do check out our Woodfired Flatbreads & Pancakes for more great Flatbreads to cook on your woodfired ovens.