Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce – finger food at its best! Slow-cooked chicken wings, browned up at the end and then plunged into a sweet/sharp/zingy/hot dipping sauce. Stand aside and let us through! Check it on our youtube channel here and the recipe is below.
Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce – Ingredients
1kg chicken wings
5cm root ginger, peeled and grated
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2tbsp green chillies – we used pickled ones so if that’s not hot enough, add fresh or use chilli sauce
1tbsp rice wine vinegar
Fish sauce (nam pla) – 2tbsp
Maple syrup – 2tbsp
Cornflour – 2tbsp
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
2 red birds eye chillies, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2tbsp warm water
1tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-2 tbsp fish sauce
Zest and juice 1 lime
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs – mint, coriander, chives
1tbsp sesame seeds
Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce – Oven state etc
3-4 Mississippi to cook the chicken wings through
1-2 Mississippi to brown the chicken
Door ajar for slow-cooking the chicken, off for grilling
Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce – Method
1. Marinate the chicken in the first 7 ingredients (after the chicken). Mix well, cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
2. Heat a grill – a Tuscan Grill or similar – in the oven and brush with some sunflower oil to stop the chicken sticking to the grill.
3. Add the chicken wings to the grill and cook slowly in the oven, turning them from time to time, until the internal temperature is around 68C.
4. Increase the fire and the temperature to get a good grilling flame and cook the chicken until the internal temperature is 75C or a little over and the wings are well browned.
5. Make the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients together – taste for a well balanced sauce and adjust as necessary.
6. Put the cooked chicken in a bowl and toss in the sesame seeds to coat them all, shaking them around in the bowl.
7. Serve the wings at once with the dipping sauce and plenty of paper napkins to wipe your fingers.
Woodfired Sticky Chicken with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce – Alternatives
Try skewers of cubed pork instead of the chicken wings.
Use different herbs in the dipping sauce.
Notch up the heat of the sauce or the marinade by using different chillies – remember not to rub your eyes or any other body part when you are working with them.