Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa
Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa is a perfect summer dessert whilst the sun is carrying on shining. Roast and caramelised pineapples from the woodfired oven served hot with a mojito salsa – zingy with lime, fresh with mint and a little bit boozy with a hit of rum – and vanilla icecream melting over the top.
Heaven on the proverbial plate for this week’s #woodfiredweekly – check it out on our youtube channel here.
Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa – Ingredients
1 large pineapple, peeled with the eyes taken out
A little olive oil
Handful of fresh mint leaves
45g caster sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lime
40ml white rum
Vanilla ice cream for serving
Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa – Oven State, equipment etc
3 Mississippi with a good bed of embers
Tuscan grill placed over the embers to heat up and lightly oiled
Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa – Method
1. Cut the pineapple into 8 wedges and take some of the inner core out. Brush the wedges with a little olive oil and place on the Tuscan grill over the embers.
2. While the pineapple is caramelising, put the fresh mint leaves and most of the sugar into a pestle & mortar and bash until smooth. Add the lime juice and finely grated zest and stir in the rum along with the rest of the sugar if needed. (Taste first before adding)
3. Turn the pineapple over so it gets caramelised on all sides and put the wedges on a serving plate.
4. Spoon over the mojito salsa and some of the vanilla ice cream which will melt over the hot pineapple.
5. Serve at once.
Woodfired Pineapple with Mojito Salsa – Alternatives
- Use stoned peaches, plums or nectarines instead of the pineapple
- Instead of the mojito mix, try something like a Brandy Alexander – brandy cream and dark chocolate. Perfect over griddled peaches or roast strawberries.
We’re using a Morso Forno in this week’s #woodfiredweekly – to find out how best to use an oven like this do come on our woodfired course – next one in September.
You can also check out our Morso Woodfired Oven Playlist on our youtube channel here
David and Holly